Kuranda Skyrail and Train
Travel in style with this Kuranda Skyrail and Train tour. Enjoy some of the icons of the region, Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, Kuranda Scenic Rail and Kuranda village.
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
Travelling from Cairns to Kuranda you will glide above the UNESCO listed Wet Tropics Rainforest canopy.
Skyrail transverses the Kuranda range for 7.5km. There are two mid-stations to visit along the way, Red Peak and Barron Falls. These stations provide an opportunity to learn about this ancient environment. Follow the rainforest boardwalks to scenic lookouts, join ranger-guided tours and visit the CSIRO Interpretation station.
Don’t forget to check out ‘The Edge’. We suggest you allow about 1 ½ hours for the Skyrail experience.
You will have time to explore Kuranda, ‘the village in the rainforest’. Kuranda village has been a favourite to visitors from the early 1900s.
In the 1960’s Kuranda became popular because of the climate and lifestyle. Hippies moved into town. The town filled with musicians and artists and the Kuranda Markets began.
Today the village features an eclectic mix of shops and market stalls. Restaurants and cafes, bush-tucker and international cuisines along with wildlife parks and local Aboriginal culture abound.
There is an excellent selection of local produce along with locally-designed and made fashion. Also, keep your eye out for hand-crafted jewellery, leather products, woodwork and gemstones.
Kuranda Village has something for everyone to enjoy.
Kuranda Scenic Railway
In the 1880s the construction of the Kuranda Railway began. Miners from the west needed transport to ‘civilisation’, Cairns. The development included fifteen hand-made tunnels and 37 bridges. Many lives were lost during construction. The total amount of earth excavated was three million cubic metres. Quite a feat for those times.
Tourists began using the railway to visit Kuranda in the 1930s. They continue to enjoy the old-world charm of the experience to this day.
You will travel from Kuranda back to Cairns. Marvel over the views of the World Heritage-listed rainforest from the refurbished original heritage carriages. This is one of the most picturesque railway trips in Australia.
Now you have been to Kuranda a visit to the Great Barrier Reef is next! Click Here for Cairns all inclusive Reef Experience.
- Return coach transfer from your accommodation
- Skyrail Rainforest Cableway
- Free time in Kuranda Village
- Kuranda Scenic Rail
- 08:45am approximately depart your hotel
- 10:00am Travel to Kuranda Village by Skyrail
- 11:15am – 3:15pm Enjoy free time to explore Kuranda Village. Take in the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary (extra cost). You can jump on the free shuttle bus to Rainforestation Nature Park (extra cost)
- 3.15pm Be ready at the Kuranda Railway Station for your 3.30pm departure
- 5.15pm arrive Cairns Railway Station for the bus transfer back to your hotel
- Return bus transfers from your Cairns accommodation
- Skyrail Rainforest Cableway one way
- Free time in Kuranda Village
- Kuranda Scenic Railway one way
- Upgrade to Diamond Class on Skyrail
- Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
- Upgrade to Gold Class on Kuranda Scenic Rail
What to bring
- Hat & sunscreen in addition to sturdy footwear
- Camera importantly
- Water bottle (water bubblers are available in the restaurants)
- Cash/credit cards for any purchases